Hannah’s Sour Cherry Soup
Here is my recipe!
Just make sure you don’t use canned cherry pie filling! And don’t be afraid to experiment with whatever fresh fruits are in season!
- 2 24 ounce jars of sour cherry compote
- 1 24 ounce jar of sour cherries in rum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-4 cloves in a tea ball
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Drain cherries from cherry juice
- Put cherry juice in large pot and bring to boil (if cherry juice is not about 1 quart, add water)
- Add cherries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, sugar, and salt.
- Allow that to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until cherries are nice and soft.
- Whisk together the water and flour, and then slowly mix into the soup.
- Temper the egg yolks- slowly (a tablespoon at a time) add some of the hot soup to the yolks and whisk! Do this until you have about 2 cups (ish) of mixture. Then slowly add that to your soup, mixing the whole time!
- Simmer that for about 4 minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Remove the soup from heat.
- Combine the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla, and then temper that as you did the egg yolks.
- Slowly add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly.
- You can either enjoy it warm or chilled. My mom put some of it on vanilla ice cream!
If you make yours differently, let us know what you do! It is fun to see the many variations that families have!
Want to see more recipes? Sign up for the Magyar Living Newsletter HERE!