Hungarian History & Culture I & II are each 10 weeks long.
Click here to listen to the Hungarian Living Podcast where I interview Gergely, the instructor, about these classes.
If you are interested in these classes and when they will be offered next, please sign up for our e-newsletter where we send out all of our class offerings! Sign up HERE!
Hungarian History & Culture I
Below are the topics covered in class:
- From the beginning to the conquest
- St. Stephen I and the Árpád House
- The Hunyadians and the Turkish Age
- The Rákóczi War of Independence
- The Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
- World War I – Trianon
- Miklós Horthy – World War II
- The Kádár era 1957-1989
The architectural, literary and fine art works typical of the given age will also be highlighted.
This class is also available to those outside of the United States. If you are interested, in participating, please send an email to [email protected] so we can arrange payment.
“I very much enjoyed Gergely’s history class. It was interesting to hear his perspective on European as well as Hungarian history. He fit a lot of material into a half hour each week. Quite a bit of the information also explained Hungarian genealogy as well.” ~ Michelle, Michigan
“I really enjoyed the history and culture class with Gergely. I appreciate his humor and insights that are usually missing with just reading about the events.” ~ Robin, Illinois
Hungarian History & Culture II
Gergely helps us learn the high points of these years. The classes are 30 minutes long in English. The classes are not recorded.
- Retaliation after 1849, the political circumstances of the compromise
- The society and economy of dualism
- Being Jewish in Hungary
- Traffic conditions in Hungary
- Waves of emigration in Hungary 1.
- Economic life and society between the two wars
- Waves of emigration in Hungary 2.
- Economy and society after World War II until 1990
- The events of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution in detail
- Christianity as a preservation of values in the middle of Europe.
This class is available to those outside of the United States. If you are interested, in participating, please send an email to [email protected] so we can arrange payment.