This was easy to whip together and tasted great! As with many recipes, there are many, many variations to it. My first time making körözött was in Atlanta GA. I was helping my friend organize snacks for the volunteers at the Hungarian Festival. Neither of us had made körözött before but she had a great family recipe and it seemed well within out abilities. It was super easy and delicious! I didn’t grow up with körözött but I love it. I hope you will too!
Varsa Family Körözött Recipe
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 4 oz stick butter, softened
- 6 ozs feta cheese
- 4T sour cream
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 T mustard (Dijon style)
- 3-4 spring onions chopped fine
- 1 t chopped caraway seed (optional)
Blend first six ingredients together with a hand mixer. Then mix in the chopped spring onions.
There are many variations of körözött. Most variations have come about as people often struggled to access the same ingredients used “back home”. Körözött can be made with quark, sheep’s milk cheese, feta cheese or cottage cheese. It depends on your preference and availability. When we lived in New York, Amish brand Friendship Cheese was perfect for this dish but I have not found that in southern Indiana. We omitted the caraway seed in our version. We tripled the recipe and served it with baguette slices. It was easy, delicious, and very well received! I think it would be great to serve with vegetables too!
Körözött – Soft Cheese Spread
- Hand mixer
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz butter (one stick) softened
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3-4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp caraway seed optional
- Blend first six ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- Mix in chopped spring onions.
- Serve with sliced baguette, crackers, or vegetables.