Delicious Dios Beigli
- 2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tbs. sugar
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pour yeast in bowl, add water and sugar stirring until dissolved.
- Blend flour and butter with wire pastry blender.
- Mix well, mix in eggs, salt and yeast mixture.
- Mix until dough is smooth and leaves side of bowl clean.
- Divide dough into four equal parts, wrap each section in wax paper and place in the refrigerator.
- Make filling.
- 1 pound finely ground walnuts
- 1 cup coconut flakes (we use Bakers sweetened coconut in a bag).
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 to 1 cup of boiled milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- If you like raisins, they can also be added to the filling, just soak them in some milk and cut back on the ground walnuts.
- Mix filling in bowl using only 3/4 cup of boiled milk, It should be thick. If not spreadable use the rest of milk.
- After about an hour, take one portion from the refrigerator and roll out into a rectangular shape about 12″ x 15″. You will need to use a little extra flour here so the dough does not stick but only use a little. Too much flour will make the dough dry.
- Gently spread the filling on the rolled dough within 3/4 inch of the edge. Roll up tightly, tuck the ends in and under. Place in a greased baking pan with the seam on the bottom. Let rise for about 20 minutes.
- If you use a jelly roll pan, make the rolls only as long as the shorter side and line all four up on the same pan but evenly spaced.
- Prick each roll with a fork on top about 6 times to keep roll from splitting while baking.
- Brush with egg whites, if desired.
- Bake in 300 degree oven about 40 to 45 min. or until golden colored.
- These cakes can be wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil and stored in the freezer after they are baked. Enjoy!
Makes 4 small beigli.